Sunday, February 28, 2010

Riding in a winter wonderland

What a weekend.  Woke up Saturday to test out the ankle, or as my wife called it "Cankle" because it molded into my calf like some "large" peoples.  It didn't actually hurt to pedal so I headed out on my Sugar Creek Amish loop.  Once again a nice ride on snow covered an quite a bit of unplowed roads.

The 1st oddity was at the top of one climb where the plowing just stopped.  The road was very narrow, barely wide enough to get a car down and drifts making it even slimmer.  Seems like the land owner plowed himself out to the main road and left the neighbors to fend for themselves.  The guy needs a wider blade!  I crossed over the plow rubble and into the virgin snow dipping my feet into it on every pedal stroke.  I came to where a couple cars had driven out the other end to the next main road but the compressed snow was harder to ride in than the fluff so I stayed in the middle.

Had a corgi start to chase me but his junk was dragging in the snow slowing him down and he gave up.  Another dog took up chase on down the road but stopped about 10 yards from the road.  Luckily he had a shock collar on, however after I passed, he took up chase again.  Makes me wonder if his buttheaded master decided to turn the invisible fence off.

At one point I came to a T intersection and the road to the left was plowed better than any road I had ridden so I took it.  That lasted 20 yards when I saw a sign that read "Private Drive".  Go figure, another over achiever land owner making the Twp look inadequate.  In a way I am glad they didn't plow or salt because when I did have to take a main road, I flatted, right in front of a house with dog warning sign and trespassing warnings in front along with fresh paw prints.  Luckily Kujo was entertained elsewhere.  Great, my pump is missing, probably lost it again but at least I had 3 co2's.  oops, make that 2, the one in the inflater was used, time to head home.

Lots of weather changes along the route from sunshine to black skies to near white out conditions followed closely by horizontal sleet and rain.  Four miles from home the headset starts to seize up and my bike became ill-handling in the cross winds until I stood up and realized my front tire was flat!  I rode until the rim hit the ground and hit it with what was left in the inflator which lasted about a half mile.  A quick repair got me home with a respectable amount of saddle time followed up with a recovery drive to Cici's all you can eat, scarf til you barf buffet.

Today started off much better, warm, sunny and I had the company of Joe, Steve and Tim.  Those nice snow covered roads were now slush and mud.  At one point Joe and Steve were racing up a climb in the pig slop.  I felt like chasing so I gave it a try which thankfully didn't last long.  Joe lost control and took them both down into the snow, no injuries but lots of laughs.  Half way into the ride the sun went away and took the temps with it so we turned towards home.

I enjoyed today's ride and the company made it more fun than yesterday but yesterdays bad weather and frozen roads were fun in a whole different way.

No comments:

Post a Comment