Tuesday, December 29, 2009

End of a Generation

On July 17th, 1921 Anna Marie Blanchard was born near Freeburg, Ohio. Many years later she married Ralph Gorman, my grandfather. Not long after my father and uncle were born, Grandpa Raplh passed away from illness. Years later she married Hansford Ayers, the man who I always knew as my Grandfather and he did a damn fine job as far as I am concerned. In 2005 Grandpa Ayers passed away after a long battle with Cancer and Strokes leaving Anna as the Matriarch of the family, the last of her generation.

Christmas Eve Grandma Anna's heart suffered a massive attack that knocked most of the wind that remained from her sails. About 24 hours later the heart that was as big as the great outdoors couldn't pump no more and the Angels came a calling and took her home.

I remember the times when I was in school I would ride my bicycle from Alliance to her home in Pattersonville, Carroll County. Stop by the golf course where she worked and mooch a lunch before continuing on to her home to mow her lawn and spend the night before riding home.

I remember going to Carrollton to go shopping and walking through the old stores with their hardwood floors. I remember her own dry goods store she had in Minerva and all the great family get togethers at their home in the Carroll County hills. Sunday mornings were spent in the front pew at the Mt. Zion Church with her while she waited her turn to fill the air with music from the organ or piano.

Going to a service or calling hours for anyone is no fun, going for a family member is even worse. This is the 2nd time I have carried a casket to the grave site but this time it was different, I was carrying my Grandma. Carrying a casket to the grave then watching it being lowered is an entirely different emotion. When the top is placed on the vault you can't help but feel an immense sadness. She now rests beside Grandpa Ayers back in Freeburg where it all started.

I have many many great memories of her and even though the Angels came and took her away, they left her memories here to give us a sense of comfort in that we were (are) loved by a very special woman.

No comments:

Post a Comment